As a marketer for a software company in the heart of Silicon Valley, I often spend more than the regular 8 hours at my desk. It’s my home away from home. I take pride in making my desk both a productive and comfortable environment. I want it to be a place I’m okay spending nine or ten hours of every day, because most of the time, that’s what happens. After a certain amount of time, I’ve come up with what seems to be a great environment for myself.
- Computer – 13″ MacBook Air
- Magic Trackpad + Wireless Keyboard
- External Monitor – 27″ Dell monitor. Combined with the MacBook, I have all the visual space I need to get work done. I like to keep my current project set up on my monitor, and leave my e-mail, office IM, and texts on my laptop screen so that I can physically tune out everything except my highest priorities.
- Headphones – I keep a pair of over-ear headphones as well as the iPhone earbuds. My current over-ear headphones are actually from Target, I scored them for like $5, and they’ve lasted a surprisingly long time. I do find that after a few hours, any kind of over-ear headphones will start to hurt my ears, so it’s nice to have the earbuds to swap out after a while.
- Post It Notes – I have about 8 different types of Post Its that I’ve accumulated over the years. I’m a sucker for the cute ones in the Target dollar section, they get me every time. I actually used to not use my external monitor, and instead had it covered in notes. As you can see, I’ve had to delegate the space at the bottom of the monitor specifically for notes.
- Nespresso pods + Mug – I’m lucky enough to work in an office that has an AWESOMELY stocked kitchen with two (2!) kinds of one-cup coffee makers. I have a Nespresso machine at home, so even though our kitchen stocks a few different kinds of the pods, I have a little dish on my desk with my favorites. I also like to keep one or two of my own mugs at my desk because finding a clean mug in the office kitchen can be a hit or miss.
- Hand Lotion – Sitting all day in a climate-controlled building can wreak havoc on your skin, especially during the winter. I like to put on a really solid hand lotion at least once a day to make sure my skin stays nice and hydrated. The one I currently have at my desk is the Soap and Glory Hand Food – AMAZING.
- Chewing Gum – I always ALWAYS have a little tub of chewing gum at my desk. I like to buy the car sized tubs of 60 pieces because I go through it really quickly. Once your coworkers find out you have gum, it goes even faster. There are only a few things worse than having to sit at your desk all day with a gross mouth.
- Multivitamins – I can get so rushed in the morning that I don’t have time to take a multivitamin at home before I leave. So to combat this, I started keeping my vitamins at my desk so I’d remember to take them every day. I take the Smarty Pants Adult Complete gummy vitamins, which I love! One day of vitamins is six gummies, so it’s like another snack, too.
- Plant – I have a little succulent jade plant that I potted in a big mug and keep on my desk. Having a little bit of greenery makes my desk feel more inviting and a little less “gloomy cubicle” feeling. Plus, keeping a plant at your desk can make you more productive!
- Water bottle – It’s easy to forget to drink water (and sometimes even to eat) when you have a really packed day in the office. Keeping a water bottle front and center is a good way to keep a visual reminder to drink during the day.
Do you have certain things you can’t live without at your desk? What’s your go-to item to make your work space feel more comfortable? Leave me a comment, I’d love to hear it!